Cooking Capers

For the love of making a mess, buying kitchen gadgets...and occassionally making something that tastes good.

Monday, December 29, 2003

I'm faced with a moral dilemma. I love Cook's Illustrated and the magazine they put out. I learn from their write-ups and their approach is unique to other cooking sources. But I'm disappointed to learn they use slimy marketing to get people to buy their cookbooks. The "Restaurant Favorites at Home" showed up on my doorstep unannounced. I dug back through my unsorted mail and found a card that said "we're sending you this book unless you return this card by Dec 8". The burden is on me to return the card, or now, since I'm un-organized, the burden is on me to return a book. This sort of marketing is weasely. The first time it happened (*sigh*), I thought maybe I accidentally ordered something on the web site... Guess not. I'm on to their wiley ways.

So the dilemma is I'm angry enough to boycott them. I abhor this kind of marketing strategy. But I love their cooking approach. What's a girl to do?

My inclination is to boycott, but let's see how they respond to my communications first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home