Cooking Capers

For the love of making a mess, buying kitchen gadgets...and occassionally making something that tastes good.

Monday, May 30, 2005

Best BBQ Ever

Jason and his mom went out on a limb and declared our Memorial day BBQ the best BBQ meal they'd ever had. I've had a lot of good BBQ at my parent's so I'm not ready to make the same claim, but it's got to be close.

Menu was steaks (hmm, don't know the cut) tenderized with meat tenderizer first, then marinated with Italian salad dressing, the vinegar acting as a tenderizer also. Then Jason cooked it to perfection. Tasty and, well, tender. The surprise steak topping was some great store bought hummus from Costco.

I made a favorite broccoli salad from "Heart and Soul", but I doubled the amount of broccoli, giving it a much better ratio of salad to dressing. I also use golden raisens over regular ones - they're sweeter.

Grilled corn on the side. We use the technique in the "The Best Recipe: Grilling and Barbeque", which leaves a thin layer of husk on the outside. The corn gets a perfect golden color without burning.

Then, sangria. Both recipes were based on the sangrias found in "Bobby Flay Boy Gets Grill". For the white peach sangria I used canned peaches instead of fresh, and instead of simple syrup, I added the peach syrup from the peaches. Yum yum. And instead of a rose for the red sangria, we substituted a shiraz; blackberries made an great fruit choice. Both were excellent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home